Friday, September 4, 2009

Being in the world


We want to interact with others. We desire to do fulfilling, engaging things. Life has so many beautiful aspects. In what ways can we shelter ourselves from the uncomfortable input? How can we filter out what doesn't feel good and yet stay open to life?

I have found that as my daughter has grown up, things that interest her don't fit with what I feel I need - teenage girls wear all kinds of makeup and use products that I had tried so hard to keep out of the house. I want to take care of myself yet also allow her to be free to choose for herself. I cannot be totally isolated and cut off from the world, just because I want to avoid fragrances and chemicals and crowds. I want to be able to eat out with family in restaurants without feeling sick from the food. I want to travel and enjoy activities. I can't always wear a charcoal filter mask and insist on eating only organic food. I can't keep others from wearing perfume or smoking.

What has worked for you? How do you cope? How do you find your way in the word and still live in integrity with yourself and care for your own needs?

No comments:

Post a Comment